i always thought i had lived my life by the book....
now i'm finding that nothing you plan on is certain.....

Saturday, September 13, 2008

iowa and home again

so i spent the last week in the great state of Iowa helping with flood relief. the flooding happened on June 12, and there are still houses that haven't been touched!

i had to have some serious talks with myself so that i would actually come back to NC and not stay in Iowa indefinitely.

reasons why i couldn't stay there:
-no income (car bill, rent (no way i would get a subleaser!), student loans, utilities, car insurance, cell phone!)
-too far from people i really love
-no car
-sleeping on an air mattress is only fun in short amounts of time
-losing my job here b/c it would be 'irresponsible' for me to just not show up for a few weeks.

it really came down to the fact that i have bills to pay. if i had a guaranteed way to make money while volunteering (i.e. freelance writing or something fun), i would have stayed for sure. alas, i had to come back, and even though i miss Iowa ferociously, i am glad to be back, glad to get back to normal, and now i am daydreaming about my next Disaster Relief opportunity (not that i'm hoping for them, but natural disasters are bound to happen!)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow- that is so awesome what you did! Kudos to you! But I'm glad to "read" that you're back - I've been missing your posts!

Anonymous said...

Glad it went well for you! I need some volunteer work to get me in the right frame of mind.

 

|