i always thought i had lived my life by the book....
now i'm finding that nothing you plan on is certain.....

Tuesday, March 11, 2008

running til you fall down

i have goals for myself, which include running a half marathon sometime in the next year, in addition to training for and running a marathon sometime in the next 3 years.

this being said, i went for a run tonight.

the weather was perfect for a nice early evening run, so i put my hair up, clipped back the hair that would fall down, wore a sports bra, laced up my running shoes, stretched a little inside the house, and finally leapt off of my front step and into my running form.

i was off and running. i had a good pace. i decided to run for at least 15 minutes, and to try and do so without walking.

i went down the street, around the block and when i got back to my starting point, i dared to look at my watch timer:

3:30.

i had only been running for 3 minutes and 30 seconds.

so i circled the same route again, noticing how my pace was slowly declining in speed.

i decided that i would go down a couple of extra streets in my neighborhood in order to make the time pass faster and add in some distance.

i got back to my starting point again, certain that i had just passed the 10 minute mark.

i looked at my watch:

6:30.

how on earth?! what?! okay, keep moving, just run until you feel like it's been 4 more minutes. instead of 15, it's okay if i only did 10. my body was giving me the ole RED FLAG.

i ran some more. i rounded corners, passed people walking their dogs, crossed streets, waved at strangers carrying their groceries inside, and finally, i was back on my street, sure that i'd passed the time and that i had CERTAINLY passed the 10 minute mark and it was now okay for me to go inside and get some water.

as i slowed down to stop, my legs felt extra wobbly, and because i know my body, i knew that if i didn't get inside ASAP i would be likely to cause a scene by passing out in my neighbor's yard.

luckily, my wobbly legs guided me up my front-steps, i successfully opened my front door and got inside just in time to lay face down on the floor of my dining room. i never fully passed out, but i'd say if i hadn't gotten my shoes off and regulated my breathing, i may have just blacked out altogether.

total running time: 12:22. GO ME!

too bad i felt like i was having hot flashes and i was also having flashbacks to the "mile-run" in grade-school......

well, they say baby-steps. i guess 12 minutes compared to a marathon would definitely qualify as baby-steps!

4 comments:

Tonya said...

You've got me beat-- Twelve minutes is great! And congrats for getting out and doing it in the first place, I would have gotten as far as the front steps and decided to get in the car and head for Baskin Robbins! Maybe I'll try your way and actually exercise today!

Anonymous said...

Hey-one step at a time! My friend started out last year only running for two minutes at a time and completed her first marathon 9 months later! It can be done!

Tonya said...

that's 12 minutes more than i can run. :)

Two Date Diva said...

I have so been there! I swear when I run the time goes slower.

 

|